Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Long and Sweaty Road

As planned I met up with Ian, Chem Steve, and Jim for 10 miles through Fairmount Park. The pace started off fairly leisurely for about the first 6 miles. The weather was cool but humid and I quickly built up a good layer of sweat on my brow and soaked through my shirt.

Ian began to push the pace a little as we neared South Georges Hill and we were probably running about 7:15's by the time we hit 10 miles back in front of the Art Museum. We dropped off Jim who was runnig 10 for the day and continued on Kelly Drive.

A quick stop at my car to chug some Gatorade and lose my shirt and we were back at it. Hitting about a 6:55 mile than a 6:45 then a 6:40. Steve turned around at Strawberry Mansion and Ian continued to the Bloody Nipple as I turned around at Falls Bridge. On the way back I quickly caught up to this young guy who as I was passing, picked it up and got ahead of me again. I wasn't about to push it so I let him go. A 1/4 mile later the same thing so I decided to drop the hammer, however small that hammer was after 14 miles, and ran another 6:45 mile.

I stopped for a drink of water at the fountain and he again passed behind me. I caught him a bit later and this time instead of passing I decided to talk. I asked him if he was in Kids Run Philly Style, a high school program in philly that is designed to get inner city kids involved in running, and he chuckled and said "No, I am a little older than that". We chatted it up a bit and I find out he has run 8 marathons and is planning on 2 in the fall. I am really wondering his age at this point and he tells me31. It was my turn to chuckle and apologize for thinking he was in highscool.

Finished up with him in front of Lloyd Hall. 18 miles in 2:15. Another quick long run. My longs runs have gone very well so far and I am glad I can pick up the pace . I am a little worried that these fast runs are not giving me enough time on my feet and I think I will slow it down for my first 20 miler next week.

Also, I passed Alex going the other way on what I imagine was the early miles of his first 20. I hope all went well.

No comments: