Saturday, August 19, 2006

An easy 16?

Met up with the group at 8:00 in front of the museum and fell into a good pace with Jenn as we head up MLK. The miles clicked off between 7:30 and 7:40. Conversation came easy over a lot of topics and I enjoyed the trip around the drives.

We finished in 64 minutes, I bid adieu to Jenn, slugged a half quart of gatorade that I had in my car, stripped off my sweaty shirt and headed down Pennsylvania avenue intent on 7-8 miles more through Fairmount park. I a foot bridge over pennsylvania and the railroad tracks and it dumped me on Sedgely, up over the Girard Bridge where I was surprised to see Mr. Yellow Shorts, Jim Mayo in appropriate attire for his name. Said a quick hi and continued down Lansdowne, North Concourse, St. Georges Hill to Chamonioux. A very familiar route.

I took Chamonioux for a short distance and then cut into the first field to drop onto Parachute Hill. While crossing onto the lawn I somehow didn't see a large dead branch hanging low from a tree. It caught me in the head and then gave me a good gash on my neck. I screamed a very girly "owwww' and then followed it up with some expletives. Hurt like a bitch but it wasn't bleeding and I just kept running.


Down parachute hill to Montgomery, for the second time hit the water fountain at Montgomery and MLK. I realized that I felt much better now after 14 miles than I did at 2 miles the first time I stopped, it made me happy.

Down MLK and cut under the bridge to go behind the Art Museum to add a little distance and make sure I hit at least 16 miles. The last mile I could feel the dehydration and heat getting to me a bit but I finished strong. 16.5 miles in 2hr 5 minutes.

I am always apprehensive at the beginning of these long runs, hoping everything will go well. So far so good this year.

No comments: