Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thanks Deirdre

My runs have not gone to well over the past couple weeks. Two attempts at tempo runs, today and last week, have gone miserably. Just 2-3 miles into tempo pace and I am spent. With a couple exceptions of a long run over the weekend, and 12 miler last Friday, I wouldn't call any other of the runs good. In fact this week they have all just been bad. Sore legs, lack of energy, and just a general feeling that I don't want to run.

So all this is going through my head 6 miles into my 10 mile run tonight. This sucks, my running sucks, whine whine whine

I bump into Deirdre just past boat house row, we stop to chat and she conveniently asks how my run is going. I'll try to recreate the conversation here. There may be a few exaggerations below but this is the general idea.

Me: High Deirdre

De: High John, How is your running going

Me: WAAAH, and WAAHH.... WAH

De: Really tell me more

Me: Wah

De: Oh that has happened to me in the past

Me: Wah WAAAAH Wah

De: I have had horrible runs leading up to marathons but the race has gone just fine. You have a month left don't sweat it, take a couple days off

Me: Yeah but...... Wah

De: I had the big toe on my right foot amputated days before my Olympic trials marathon a few years back, and had a great race.

Me: Your right, I gotta relax and just deal with a bad patch, take it kind of easy over the weekend

De: I am glad you stopped crying

Me: I'll meet you for an easy 18 Saturday morning

De: Sounds good, see ya.

The whole conversation really brightened my mood. The 4 miles home were the best miles I've had all week. Deirdre was in the right place at the right time and I don't think she had any idea how the short conversation helped. I'll have to tell her on that 18 miler this weekend.

1 comment:

jim said...

Deirdre can kick your ass into gear, no doubt about it.