Sunday, October 14, 2007

Thurs - 6 Easy miles with Heather. This has become a routine easy run for me. 48 minutes, a little faster than Heather's normal pace

Fri - I was looking for 11-12 miles with a few at marathon pace. Took a trip up to the edge of Chestnut Hill and then into Wissahickon Park. After a couple more miles I sped up to marathon pace, and the first mile went by in 6:40, right and felt good. Second mile 6:35, 3rd mile 6:30 and 4th mile 6:30. It's amazing how much better I felt than a couple days back when I was attempting a tempo run. The pace came easily and I didn't really feel winded after slowing down. This defintiely brightened my mood. You can't let one bad workout ruin your outlook, just have to move on.

Sat - Breakout 5K

I decided not race this one and run with Heather. It's decent race with a route that doesn't set foot on MLK or Kelly Drive, a good break from the norm. Instead it winds around the neighborhood of Fairmount and through the grounds of Girard College. The weather was crisp, clear, and calm, perfect for a race.

In the first mile we reeled a few people in and we were holding steady. Heather was racing well and I don't think the pace dropped off at all. We went through the two mile split somewhere around 13:40 and as we exited Girard College Heather started to pick-up the pace. There was one girl ahead and in the last turn Heather was able to pass her and really pick up the pace to finish in 20:36, good for 3rd place female. A great race.

Sun - Long Run

Another beautiful morning, this is the way that fall runs are supposed to be. I met Ian in front of the Art Museum and we headed out on a course that incorporated some of the Philly marathon route, Fairmount Park, and into East Falls. Then, a loop across Wissahickon Park on Henry Avenue and Walnut Lane before a mile in Mt. Airy. I was feeling pretty good and really enjoying the run.

After dipping into Wissahickon Park for a couple miles we ended up on Kelly Drive for the final 5 back to the Art Museum. The pace was between 7:15 and 7:30 on the way down Kelly and I think this was true for the entire run. I gratefully grabbed a much needed Gatorade from Ian at the finish and he continued on for a couple more to reach 3 hours. For me, 21 miles in 2:35.

A good run. I was tired but finished strong and had a surprising amount of energy the rest of the day. Both good signs.

65 miles for the week, and now over 1800 for the year. In the first half of 2007 I was a few hundred miles up on my 2006 totals. Since that point my 2006 running ghost has slowly been catching my 2007 totals. At this point, 2006 John is only 60 miles back but 2006 John is a week away from the Chicago Marathon and now I still have 5 weeks to go till Phill. All this means I should beat last years total. A trend that has been ongoing for several years now and it's nice to continue.

No comments: