Thursday, October 11, 2007

A tough run last night. My goal was 15 miles with 5 at tempo pace. I felt decent the first couple miles on Kelly Drive and was looking forward to a good workout. After about 20 minutes of warmup, I sped up to the high end of my tempo pace, 6:20. The first mile felt good, the second mile I was beginning to struggle and I called it short when I got to Lloyd hall at 2.5 miles. From there I ran easy pace down the path extension to the looping turn around.

I stopped at the turn around to stretch and to tell you the truth, had there been a way out of running home from there I would have taken it. I felt like crap and did not want to run back. I delayed as long as possible and began again at a leisurely pace. Surprisingly I was feeling and better decided to ramp it up to tempo pace when I got near Girard Bridge. I felt like I was moving along well but the first ¼ mile split indicated 6:50 pace, WTF. I pushed the pace down to 6:20 but it was a struggle and I only kept it up for 1.5 miles. I passed Devon along this stretch and it looked like he wanted to chat but I was afraid any stop would kill my momentum so I just yelled hello as I went by.

The last few miles home were a struggle even at 8:00 pace. I just couldn’t wait to be done with it. 12.4 miles in 1:32.

When a workout goes this poorly it leaves you searching for a reason. The best I can guess is dehydration. I drank two huge glasses of water when I got home before hopping on the scale. 149lbs. That’s an obvious sign that my tank was very low. Also, I had a run like this a few weeks back and it looks like it was the same cause. More water.

No comments: