Thursday, December 16, 2010

12 of 14 days so far this December have been rainy. The gloom is beginning to eat away at my "screw the rain" resolve. It's been enough at times to leak into our basement and require some fancy equipment to dry out the rugs before the mildew and mold arrives. This means you are either running just before it rains, during the rain or just after the rain.

I pushed off any kind of workout until 9:15 tonight when the radar gave me the all clear. Instead of the rain I was treated to a very light mist which I really don't mind. I wanted a hard workout in my mind but my body just wasn't into it. Jogged over to a fake turf field about 1/2 mile from the house. Almost all the community fields are fake turf here. I guess they got tired of playing in the mud. The good thing is that the fields are actually decent turf and permanently lined for baseball, football and soccer. I took advantage of the lines to run some lines as follows. I ran out and back to the 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120 yard lines (including the end zones). Tried to run as hard as possible the entire way. Took a complete break to almost fully recover and repeated.

Round 1: 2:56

Round 2: 2:58.

I figure they were somewhere around a half mile but run harder than I would in an 800 interval.

Was planing on three sets but the steak and potatoes I had for dinner were angry with me so I jogged off the damp dark field and headed home. May repeat this one in the future, perfect for a hard workout and easy to measure progress.

No comments: