Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Golden Gardens Loop

When I am pressed for time like tonight when I have chicken and baked potatoes in the oven and the timer reads 30 minutes, I have to get out for a quick run and this loop has filled that role nicely. It is easily completed under 30 minutes and if I boogie, as I did tonight, then it is closer to 25 minutes. I long steady downhill to start, a mile of flat, a ton of steps, and then a flat finish.

Last time I pushed it and finished in 25:01 so my goal was to break 25:00. Not a drop of rain all day but of course I stepped out the door and it was raining. After 8 minutes downhill this didn't matter and I settled into 5-10K pace along the flat portion on the Burke-Gilman trail. I felt awesome. Light and bouncy cruising through the streetlight dappled puddles. Across the street there is an enormous marina in the Shilshole Bay. There has to be 750 boats, many decorated with Christmas lights up and down the main mast lines. A new sight for me.

I hit the stairs as hard as I could and then kept glancing at my watch for the final half mile home. I was full out the last few blocks and finished in 24:21. A huge improvement from last time but that is only because this time I had goal in mind. Getting under 24 minutes will be much more difficult.

2 comments:

ian said...

Nice one. This has inspired me to get my ass out the door.

Jah said...

so what is 5k-10k pace like for you now you animal? i looked at what it should be for me when i want to run a 1:25 marathon and i'm having trouble believing. i'll pace my workouts at that goal and see what falls out