Sunday, December 10, 2006

Heather finally talked me into heading to the pool with her on Friday night. She swims at Drexel's pool on 34th street. Luckily the pool was fairly empty and my swimming lessons began. I have to say that I was more comfortable in the pool this time then the few times I went in the past.

After a lesson on flip-turns and about 10 easy laps we jumped into some sets. Two lengths of the pool at a hard pace and then a minutes rest. I was panting by the end of each set but ready to go after the rest. I did 7 sets and figured that was enough for my first real workout in the pool and jumped into some easier laps.

Turned over for some backstroke and I was moving hard across the pool when a horrible charlie horse struck in my left calf. I was immobilized and had visions of the 18 yr old lifeguard jumping in to save me. Getting dragged to the side of the pool and turning bright red in embarrassment as I dried myself off.

Instead I did a very ugly doggy paddle to the end of the pool, dragging my aching leg behind me. My toes were in a gnarled rigid point that I couldn't seem to straighten out. I was in agony trying to just get it to loosen up. Finally I was able to get my foot back to a normal position and swim over to the ladder and climb out.

Since then it hasn't been in good shape, very sore to the touch and tightens up when I sit for any length of time. I went out for an easy 6 on Saturday afternoon but it didn't feel to good and was aching later in the day. It was no better this morning and sadly decided to take the day off. I did at least get out to put up my Christmas lights and clean up the yard. I'll take it easy the beginning of next week and I should be back on track.


No more backstroke.

1 comment:

ian said...

Yikes!
You need to stick to running full-tilt on icy roads with us. That's the only safe place.