Thursday, December 14, 2006

Track 3

I got home from work late last night and forgot that I had planned on a track workout Wednesday night until I ws lacing up my sneakers. My mind quickly went through a list of excuses for why going to the track was a bad idea but I was able to answer most of them and get my ass over there.

When I arrived the track was empty. A low mist was hanging over the oval and the contrast between dark and light with the fog made for a very eerie effect. I stopped to stretch and I could see steam coming off my shoulders, I love running on nights like this.

The plan was 5 x 1000 in 3:37 with 400 recovery. The main reason I picked this distance is so I could say I ran a 5K on the installment plan and also because it is 600 meters more than my last track workout.

The first 1000 in 3:37. I hit my target but it wasn't pretty. I was hoping that yesterday would be a bit of a breakthrough and maybe things would start getting a little easier at this pace but from the first interval I knew that wasn't going to happen.

Second 1000 in 3:43. Not so great and now the doubt was creeping into my mind. "Why should I even bother doing a workout that isn't going so well?"

Third in 3:42. I really wanted to bag the rest of the workout at this point. I have found that you have to at least run the recovery before you decide to end a track workout. Once you have relaxed for a couple minutes you change your mind.

Fourth in 3:44. Whew these are getting tough. I was pissed that I wasn't hitting my times but happy that I was pushing myself through the workout. Plus, only one more to go.

Fifth in 3:45. I am beginning to really like the last lap of a track workout. On one hand it totally blows because you are killng yourself to keep the pace up but it is also great knowing that you finish this and you are done. You can slow down and relax.

A couple laps to cool down and I headed home. 5K in 18:31, not even my PR for the distance but workouts like this have to improve my running. I am beginning to see how you have to overcome doubts in your mind and really push yourself out there to make these workouts count. You can't be a pussy on the track.

No comments: