Sunday, December 17, 2006

Long Run

Or at least what passes for a long run when I am not in marathon training. It was yet another warm December afternoon that had me wearing shorts and shortsleeves. I was still breaking a good sweat as I made my way up the Bloody Nipple and onto the trails in Fairmount Park.

I retraced the trails I had found a couple weeks ago, all the twisting and turning definitely gives your ankles a workout. Eventually found myself heading down South Georges hill and over to Girard Avenue. Crossed the river and up and down Lemon Hill before turning up to the Art Museum. As usual on the weekend there was a 10 person line waiting to get a picture with the Rocky Statue.

I stretched it out for a bit at the base of the steps and did some people watching. Ran up the steps and behind the museum to Kelly Drive and home. I was surprised to find I was running 7:05 pace up Kelly Drive when I really wasn't pushing it. Instead of sticking with it I slowed it down and relaxed the last few miles home. Conservatively 13.5 miles in 1 hours 44 minutes. Hard to believe that this was a mid-week run a few months ago.

45.6 miles in 5 days for the week, easily my longest since the marathon. I have a feeling that the next couple weeks may see a drop in mileage so it was nice to put up a decent week. After a little hiatus it will be right back to marathon traning, I just hope it is a mild winter.

No comments: