Friday, January 12, 2007

I forgot how nice it can be running on a calm cold night. With all of this warm weather around these nights have been few a far between.

I had a long day at work and my planned workout as soon as I got home had to be pushed off so I could drop Heather off at the airport. This meant I didn't get out the door until after 8:30 and although I really don't think about skipping a big workout when I am in marathon training my mind went there for second or two before I got out the door.

I planned a 10 mile route through Manayunk and East Falls that involved a lot of turns and a lot of hills. Thankfully I got into a good groove almost immediately and my mind wandered as I tackled the route and the music on my iPod kind of went into the background. I didn't kill myself on the hills but ran them hard enough to make me seriously thinking about walking when I got to the top.

The air was calm and cold and I had just enough clothes on to get a very light sweat going but still be comfortable. Up and down the hills back forth on the streets, I was really enjoying it.

I was running down Ridge towards the hill at School House Lane and I was really not paying attention to the road. Staring at the limousines parked at Ali Baba Limo I didn't even notice the slight dip in the sidewalk for their driveway. I caught it with my foot and despite my best efforts took a good spill, cutting up my knee, tearing a hole in my glove, added a few more scratches on my already worn iPod.

I jumped up with no real problem just a little angry at myself for falling and happy that there weren't any people around to enjoy my tumble.

Finished up the rest of the run without incident. A little over 10 miles in 77 minutes. I expected to be a little more drained on this run but found myself with just as much energy at the end as I had at the beginning.

No comments: