Monday, January 15, 2007

The Weekend

I had a rather busy weekend. Nothing to exciting I just felt like I moved from one menial task to another. How is it that I always feel like I have a lot of odds and ends to complete to keep my life, house, and work in order but my roommate can spend 80% of his free time playing video games and still everything is fine? A mystery.

Friday night was again in the pool. It's fun working on something else besides running. Swimming is new, unexplored, I really have no idea what I am capable of and just getting in the pool is making me a better swimmer. I can see gains every time I go. I swam about 60-65 lengths in a little under an hour. Nothing non-stop, just sets of 2-5 laps.

Another thing about swimming is that you get a good workout but afterwards your body really doesn't feel it because of zero impact. I feel looser and comfortable when I leave the gym. Puts me in a great mood.

Saturday morning I joined up with Craig and Ian in front of the Museum. It was overcast and warmer than the clothes I had put on so I was sweating a couple miles in. Luckily I could take a few things off and get comfortable. Ian turned around after the sudden appearance of Kev J behind us, with fogged up glasses and baby in front at about mile 3. Craig and I continued on through Manayunk and over the Green Lane Bridge to Belmont Ave.

We hit the three hills, that Craig refers to has the three bears. They start hard and get progressively smaller Papa, Mama, and the baby. Craig and I weren't flying but we took the hills at moderate, even pace. I don't think my legs were up for much more than that.

We then cut down Ford Road into Fairmount Park, down Belmont Mansion, over South Georges and then to the Girard Bridge and back to the Art Museum. 14.1 miles in 1hr 50 minutes. I felt fine the rest of the day. It's good to know I can run 14 and really not feel any effects, such as being run down, or achy for the rest of the day.

Sunday I set out around 3:00 for at least 6 miles. If I felt good I was going to go further, if not I could just do 6 and be happy. When I got to the turn around for 6 miles just under the Columbia Bridge on Kelly Drive I felt good to go to 8 miles. When I reached 8 miles I figured I might as well just go the rest of the way to the Art Museum and make it 10. 10 miles in 78 minutes.

51 miles for the week with a tempo run, hill workout and a swim. Better than I had hoped.

No comments: