Tuesday, February 26, 2008

As soon as I hit the split button to end the tempo portion of my run last night I knew it had been a great workout. I ran close to the same route I did two weeks ago for a tempo run but this time around I felt stronger, more in control and definitely faster. I again ran by feel, but sometimes you just know when everything is falling into place. I couldn't wait to get home measure the route.

Just as last time I warmed up for a little over mile. Unlike the last time I made a mental note of my starting point and hit the split button on my watch. I sped up and tried to run at a controlled pace that was somewhere around 6:25. The tempo portion is mostly rolling with one major downhill followed immediately by a big uphill (similar in incline but slightly longer than St. Georges in Fairmont Park) about 1.5 miles in. I was hurting a bit at the top of the hill so I slowed the pace to take a slight breather. Continued on my route across Germantown ave into East Chestnut Hill and the turning north at Crittenden Ave. The turn over of my legs was telling me that I was moving along well and that my pace was increasing. My lungs were telling me to give it more gas but I continued to hold back.

I felt great, like I could have kept this pace up for 10 more miles. The time was flying by and with 10 minutes remaining to reach my 32 minute tempo goal I pushed the pace a little more. Finished up 5.2 miles in 32:26 for an average pace of 6:15. Faster than a couple weeks back when I ran somewhere around 6:25 pace. It was also easier this time around and the run got faster as it went. If I would have added another mile I am sure the average pace would have dropped slightly. So, overall, a great workout.

Tuesday monring. An easy run around Chestnut Hill. 5.2 miles in 40 minutes.

This Sunday I plan on running the Northeast Road Runners 10K which starts at LLoyd Hall. I haven't run a 10K since November 2005 and my PR at the distance is a little weak at 38:43. If I am running like I ran last night I think I have a good shot at going 37 minutes. That will be my goal.

3 comments:

seebo said...

Your run this morning has similarities to mine. Good job.

I may see you at Lloyd Hall on Sunday.

Kevin said...

10k is the one distance where my PR is faster than yours... for now. Good luck Sunday, and give me something to shoot for.

Kevin said...

(I think I have 2 seconds on you)