Monday, February 25, 2008

Pinehurst

Heather and I took a trip to Pinehurst this past weekend to visit her grandparents, who at 90 years old are getting along just fine. It seems we picked a great weekend to go as Old Man Winter has finally reared his ugly head in Philadelphia and our plane just barely got of in a small snowstorm on Friday morning that left about 3 inches of the white stuff. If we were headed north I don't think the plane would have left the ground.

I knew Pinehurst had something to do with the game of golf and I quickly saw why as we rolled into town. There are something like 20 golf courses in the this small town, and the local economy revolves around the game and the players that travel there for a little slice of golfers paradise. The town consists of a labyrinth of winding roads hemmed in by tall southern pines which had me completely turned around any time we took a drive, a walk, a run, or a bike ride. The maze made for some pretty trips.

On Friday afternoon we took quick run around town and Heather pointed out some places she remembered from her long summer vacations spent here as a kid, visiting the grand parents and along with her siblings, having some fun around town. After 30 minutes of easy running we stopped in front of some Historic hotel and "borrowed" a couple of their complimentary cruiser bikes for the weekend.

We also took a run on Saturday afternoon under a beautiful sunny blue sky and lower 60 degree temps. The first 30 minutes I ran with Heather past one golf hole after another until we reached Pinehurst Lake. From here we split and I ran another hour or so on the rolling hills around the lake. The sun was nearly set when I got back. 12.2 miles in 96 minutes.

Sunday I delayed running until we returned to Philly and at 8:00 pm I got out the door for 4 easy miles on quickly freezing snow melt that had me cautiously running around the roads in Chestnut Hill. 30 minutes.

The Week

Mon - 11.5 w 5x1mile
Tues - 5.6 easy
Wed - 5.7 easy
Thurs - 10.2 w/ 7 hils @ 30 sec
Fri - 3.5 very easy
Sat - A conservative 12.2
Sun - 3.8 easy

52 total and over all a good week.

No comments: