Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Recovering With the Dog

Heather has run with the dog on a couple occasions through the Wissahickon Park and swears he is great on the run I was doubtful and thought it more likely that he was constantly stopping to "smell the roses" as they say, messing up my rhythm and generally frustrating me. I figured an easy run would be the best place to start.

He was no problem right from the start. My easy pace is just between a fast trot and a run for him and he switched back and forth as we made our way towards the Chestnut Hill golf course a few blocks away. I thought that the macadam might damage his paws and it would be better to hit the soft grass of the course. I would normally would be reluctant to run here at night, afraid of ankle turning sticks and divots but the moon was nearly full and it illuminated everything clearly. I almost felt like we were in the spotlight.

A few long lap around the course and we headed for home. He never even tired, leading me the entire the way with his ears tucked in and his head and tail held high. I dropped him off at home for a total of 20 minutes with Boomer. I went back out and ran another 25 b y myself. 5.6 miles in 45 minutes. My legs felt good but after the workout yesterday I took it light.

This morning I got out just as the sun was touching the sky with light. I was lucky enough to catch the moon setting on the opposite side of the sky, nearly full, and quickly getting engulfed by clouds at the horizon. It made for a beautiful sight and I was glad I was running at 6:00 am.

The first couple miles I felt fine but quickly my legs started to feel dead. They weren't sort just felt like they didn't want to turn over. I slowed it down and spun a path through the Wissahickon that included a very long and unfriendly hill at the end. 5.7 miles in 46 minutes. Maybe it took a couple days for that track workout to catch up with me.

No comments: