Monday, February 18, 2008

Presidents Day

Ahh Presidents Day. Every year I forget that I have off and somewhere around Feb 10th I realize, "We have next Monday?" The most low-key of three day weekends, time to sleep in, fart around the house and catch up on my blog. It is especially nice when your wife doesn't have the holiday and you get to quietly sneak in the fact that you are off a few times the day before.

A good weekend for running. Saturday was again a long run and the group has been expanding. A few few weeks with just Seebo and I. Last week with Seebo, Ryan and I. This week Ryan, Steve, Megan, Deirdre, Rebecca and I. Having folks to run with really makes me look forward to 16 miles.

We met with the PR group but once the run started we went the opposite direction from the rest of the group, down Kelly Drive. Up to East Fairmount Park, down Ridge, through Manayunk and up the Belmont (Three Bears) Hills. This past fall I can remember cruising up these hills with Ian, chatting away, and before I knew it they were done. This past Saturday wasn't such a breeze, my lungs were handling things just fine but my legs took a little coaxing to keep up the pace. After the hills a winding trip through West Fairmount that included St Georges Hill, and the Fire Road.

I have had a pesky ankle pain over the past couple months, just a slight twinge on the outside of my right ankle. It is stiff in the morning but loosens up fairly quickly and doesn't really bother me running on the roads. The trails are a different story. I love trail running and feel I am fairly decent at it but with this ankle I am wary. It has a tendency to turn with a quick jolt of pain. It is almost as if I don't realize I am on uneven ground until a millisecond to late for me to recovery without a twist. On the Fire Road Saturday I hit it fairly hard and my stomach dropped. Images of a limp back to the Art Museum flashed through my head. But, The pain dissipated quickly and I didn't think of it the rest of the run. It hasn't been any worse for wear since.

16.3 miles in 2hr and 12 min.

Sunday, a late afternoon run in warming temps. I opted for a long sleeve shirt but would have been fine in shortsleeves. A ridiculously muddy trip up and down Forbidden Drive that left my calves covered in mud. I kept the pace very easy and really enjoyed the run. I was surprised that 56 minutes had gone by when I got back to my house. 7 miles.

54 miles for the week with a tempo run, a short hill workout and hilly long run. If I keep this up I'll be in good shape for...... Whatever the hell I am racing this spring. Right now I am leaning towards a half-marathon. Perhaps the Nashville Rock and Roll half in late April. If I can break 1:23 I would not only PR by well over a minute but would qualify for New York this Fall. I haven't run a great half marathon in the past few year and a 1:22 seems like a good goal. In fact a 1:21 might be doable if things come togther just right.

No comments: