Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bouncing Up the Hills

My legs had none of the molasses feeling left from yesterday morning and I bounced out the door just before sunset for 10 miles and a few hills. I planned to add two repeats to my hill workout from last Thursday for a total of seven.

A 20 minute warmup and I was ready for a quick workout. Seven, 30 sec hill repeats at about 5K pace followed by a very very slow trip back down the hill. I found a slightly better hill than last week and went to work. These reps are short enough that just as you are starting to hurt you are about to finish. I started each trip at the "Watch for Children" telephone pole and finished them at the 805 mailbox pole. 29-31 secs for each repat and I was done. This hill is perfect, steep but not to steep, much longer than the 30 seconds I did tonight so I can add on if I'd like, and only one car passed me in 20 minutes.

I continued on my run for another 50 minutes and I still had a lot of spring left in my step when I wrapped things up. A conservative 10.2 miles in 79 minutes.

I don't want to jinx my progress but over the past few weeks, and really over most of 2008, I've really enjoyed running. I've felt great on 90% of my runs as I've slowly upped the mileage. No major aches and pains, no sore calves that usually plague me, workouts that go as planned and an overall eagerness to run. What a change from the fall when nothing seemed to be going right in running and many other areas in life. Perhaps the difficulty in life spilled into my running. I would think one could effect the other, even if I wasn't concious of it. Just some thoughts that were going through my head as I finished up my run tonight.

1 comment:

seebo said...

Wasn't there some big major life changing event going on, inconveniently enough, in your training cycle last fall? Hmmm, I remember there was something, what could it be???

Glad to hear the positive vibes, I'm there too at the moment.