Friday, May 26, 2006

Another Wace in the Wiss.

Back in the the Wissahickon Park for the final installmant of the May trail series. I was pleased with a good Philly Runner turnout this week. Stevus, E-Mike, Kevin J, Heather, Elizabeth S. and Monika. Erin was also there but more for support and to enjoy the weather. The threat of a creek crossing kept her in her sandals, no running shoes.

I warmed up with a couple easy miles and then joined the crew of racers, about 3o, definitely more than last week. After a brief course expalanation we were on our way. I promised myself to hold back a litlte this week, and I did, but just a bit. Stevus Kevin J and a few others pulled ahead and I took it a little easy.

After a couple miles I found myself in 3rd place again with a guy hot on my heels. I was holding back a little less than I had planned but still not going all out. With a mile to go I was caught and I didn't answer, just didn't have it in me last night. With 1/2 mile to go we cut through the creek on a nearly waist high river crosssing. A little trip up the far bank and it was a quick run downstream, across a bridge and into the finish.

I ended up with third place again due the lead guy cramping and falling of pace. Steve was on fire last night and ran to a first place finish. If he every seriously trains I think he will pretty incredible. All other PR's seemed to really enjoy.

Afterwards I stuck around for a few beers and spread of food that the Valley Green Restaurant lays out for the Wanderers. Everone was sitting at large banquet style tables eating a buffet of chicken, corn, potatoes, and fruit on an outdoor covered patio. Dessert even came out after we finished dinner.

I thought maybe it was just for the races but it seems they eat a good meal here after every Thrusday night run. No bill, you just drop how much you think you owe on the bar as you walk out the door, including beers. I might have to make Thrusday nights in the park a little mroe routine.

No comments: