Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I Am an Idiot

So as I said in last post, this is a taper week. I planned on running light Monday night, 5-6 miles at a moderate pace and then a little quicker workout with the group on Tuesday night.

Heading out the door I had no intention of going to the track. My mind wasn't even on the track. I ran up to Mitchell street and headed through Manayunk. Mitchell street just happens to bring you right to the track at Roxborough High School. It was a nice evening, there were a few people on the track, I had my "fast" shoes on so I figured what the hell. A couple mile repeats at 6:00 minutes pace to give me a feel for pacing at Broad Street on Sunday.

I took an easy lap and then picked up the pace. I cruised through 1600M in just under 6 minutes. However I just felt like crap when I was done. My shins were cramping, my hip was achey, things just didn't feel good. A couple laps recovery and then I did 2, 400 repeats with 200 M recovery at 83 seconds each. I have no idea why I did this, I've never even run a 400, why start a week before the race? One more cool down lap and I headed home.

I was damn achey when I got home, things just didn't feel good, it was discouraging. Maybe it is because I really haven't had a bad run in a long while that it is bothering me. These things happen right, not all runs can be good, better bad run on Monday then this Sunday. Blah blah blah.

Good news is that I don't really feel to bad this morning and I have a week of light, enjoyable runs in front of me before Sunday. So out tonight with the group for an easy 5, and then some beers at the Bishops Collar, our monthly meeting spot for post-run beers and drinks.



All told about 6 miles in 42 minutes.

1 comment:

ian said...

Hey man, don't worry.

You're running enough that a little unexpected speed--especially in the form of short short intervals like you did--shouldn't stay with you too long.

A lot of runners like to "tune up" their legs with some 400s the week of a race anyway.