Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Washington

I'm back from my little trip and sadly I am back at my desk, but that doesn't mean I don't have time for a short post.

I'll start off by saying that Washington and Seattle are beautiful. All that crap about rain, rain, rain apparently isn't true from May through September. One day of rain and 4 of blue skies really made a for a great trip.

I went with my girlfriend and we stayed at her parents place which is about 50 minutes west of Seattle via drive and the ferry. Their yard backs up to the Hood Canal, which is a branch of the Puget Sound. Beyond the canal are the Olympic Mountains, majestic snow covered peaks on the Olympic Penisula. This all made a for a great view while eating dinner, washing dishes, or sitting on my ass on patio.

It also made for interesting scenery when running the roads. The runs were relaxing at about an 8:30 pace. 3 runs, totaling about 20 miles. I didn't have my watch, I didn't really know the distance, and really I didn't care. A 5 mile race I thought was supposed be the weekend I was there is actually taking place the following weekend so I missed it. Oh, well.

For now it is back to work and running. 40-50 miles a week through June with at least one speed work out and an increasing long runs sound like a plan to me. After that, marathon training for Chicago will start in earnest. I am hoping for a cool dry summer, worries about a steamy 20 milers in August have already crept into my mind.

No comments: