Friday, May 19, 2006

Wanderers Trail Race

On a trail run you never can really be sure what to expect. How many hills are on the route? How fast am I going, I really can't tell with all these hills? I am goign to kill myself going down this hill!

It was an informal race held by a running group, the Wissahickon Wanderers, that frequents the park. I met up with their group and a couple Philly Runners, Stevus and Kevin J, in front of the Valley green restaurant. An old restaraunt/lodge that sits on the main path that follows the Wissahickon Creek for 6 miles through the park. In the 1800's this path was the route many took from Philadelphia out to Germantown and beyond. The restaurant was place to eat and rest on the trip.

About 25 of us were milling around before the race. It was a very informal affair, the race coordinator jotted my name down on a piece of white paper and I was signed up. He explained the route which was marked with bright green chalk and we lined up. I really didn't know any of the runners except the couple PR's so teh competition was a question mark.

Started off in 5th place with a couple guys right behind me. First 1/4 mile was nice and flat, but that was soon to change. We started charging up the first hill and I held my place with "the fast guy", Stevus, Kevin J and some other guy in front. After a couple hills I was able to get into third with Stevus a few feet ahead. At this point I was hurting and we were winding up a looooong hill into a meadow at the top. I stuck close to Steve and tried to hang on. This worked for a mile or so but he eventually started to pull ahead. The lead guy was at this point not in sight.

I was feeling good about third so I just kept pushing hard and hoped that nobody caught me. The hills continued both up and down with many loose rocks, roots, and turns. I run this park a lot so I knew the paths fairly well, I just didn't know exactly what the route was.

We eventually ended up on the main path again for about 1/2 mile. I was running hard but I really couldn't tell my pace, I think it had dropped off a a good bit by this time. A turn onto the final hill that the coordinator had referred to as "Buck Hill" before the race. Just the mention of it illicited several groans from the crowd, by the top I knew why. Long, fairly steep and at this point in the race I wanted cry. I closed my gait and picked up my breathing just trying to hold on until the top. It finally ended and I knew the rest of the was was down hill. I pushed as hard as I could down the final hill and crossed the line in just under 34 minutes.

Steve had finished about 45 sec ahead of me and Kevin J was not far behind so we took 2, 3, 4 in the race, not a bad showing. Afterwards we chatted with the other runners and relaxed with some Cliff Bars provided by the Wanderers.

One the hardest races I have run but a great time. I will definitely be back next week for the 4th and final installment of the series.

No comments: