Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Plantar What?


Using the powers of the Internet I have turned myself into a doctor, specifically a podiatrist and made a preliminary diagnosis of my problem, Plantar Fasciitis.
Of course I've only had the problem for a few days and I may be jumping conclusions, worrying to much, whining, or all three but it can't hurt to take precautions and try and find out what is going wrong before it gets worse.

If you take a look at the right-most foot image and notice the area with the 42%. That is just about exactly where my pain is and it radiates slightly down the 14% band down the arch.

A couple of my symptoms match with other aspects of the problem: The fact that it is especially tight and tender in the morning and that I have gained an obscene amount of weight over the past couple months. OK maybe that isn't true. The other symptoms I've read are a little vague and they may or may not match what I am feeling.

The good news is that it is reversible, the bad news is that it can takes months to get back to normal. To help I can purchase running shoes with a little arch support as opposed to my normal neutral cushion. I'll take a spin to an actual running store for a little advice on what to wear. This is a very common running injury and they probably have a few good ideas and options. I can also ice it (as I am doing as I write this) and perform a few stretches that are supposed to give some benefit. Other than that I think I will avoid running until at least Saturday unless I see some marked improvement.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Been there. I was out for about 6 weeks back in the summer of 2005; probably didn't need to sit out so long, but it was HOT, and I was happy for the break.

I sleep on my stomach, so I repositioned to keep my foot sticking off the bed, so I wouldn't point my toe all night. Also, Dr. McLeary recommends massaging your foot with a golf ball. OK, her degree is in history, not medicine, but she usually knows what she's talking about.