Monday, July 02, 2007

What a great weekend. The weather was perfect, temps in the upper 70's and low 80 and the humidity was lower than I thought was possible for the end of June. It made a for a few good workouts.

Friday I was itching for a run all day at work. I couldn't wait to get home and get out the door but Heather called me on the way home to let me know she had a big dinner just about ready to go. The thought of ribs and corn on the cob outweighed my desire to run, plus could I really tell Heather I was gonna skip her dinner after she had worked on it? That wouldn't have been a good decision.

Instead I ate and then went for a bike ride, a much more stomach friendly activity after a big meal. I took Henry Avenue up to Northwestern and then cut across the very top of Wissahickon Park to Germantown Avenue and the big hill that leads up to Chestnut Hill. It was then a trip through Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy back to my house. This route translates into a challenging training run and it is almost exactly a half-marathon at 13.2 miles. I may run it a few times through the summer and fall.

I mentioned running through Fairmount Park before the Saturday morning group run a Deirdre was interested. We took MLK up to Montgomery and then on to the fire roads in Fairmount Park. We linked numerous trails together for a long route on a beautiful morning. I felt great and it was nice change of pace from the Drives that I originally thought I would be running.

As we were making our way across Girard Avenue and back to the Art Museum I could not believe that we had already put in 85 minutes, the run a flashed by. I got back to Lloyd Hall and put in a few more mile to get over 1hr 45 min, my goal for the day. 14+ miles in 1hr 50min.

On Sunday it was a late afternoon run through the Wissahickon Park. I expected to feel tired after Saturday's run but after a slow first mile I was cruising. I stayed on easy trails for the first 4 miles before hopping onto Forbidden Drive for 6 more. My pace was generally in the 7:00-7:10 range and it felt easy. I probably should have run a little slower but when you are feeling good it can be hard to hold back. 10 miles in 73 minutes.

Today will definitely be an easy day. My legs are tight this morning especially my right hamstring.

For the week.

45 miles running ( I thought I ran fewer than this a pleasant surpise when I looked at the total)
13 miles on the bike.

No comments: