Monday, January 12, 2009

Catching up on a couple runs over the weekend.

Friday night I went out for an easy run with Boomer. I was looking to run 3 with the dog and 5 with my iPod. I took Boomer off the leash when we stepped on the golf course but instead of following me he darted in the opposite direction. He was his manic “Oh My God another dog” mode. Any of the good behavior, such as listening to my commands, is out the windows and Boomer looks like he is going to explode with excitement.

Unfortunately he was after two old Golden Retrievers being walked by an elderly woman. One was post surgery and the poor lady was just trying to protect her dogs from Boomer’s errant sniffing. I was forced to chase him back and forth between the two retrievers trying to get him on the leash, all the time apologizing to this woman. I felt like Rocky chasing the chicken. The whole thing frustrates me to no end.

I finally grabbed him and headed off. I scolded him for a quarter mile and he retreated a couple feet behind me the rest of the way. After dropping him off I went off on my own for 5 miles. The I felt like picking things up and threw in a mile under marathon pace. Feeling great. 9 miles in 65 minutes.

Saturday was a long run with Seebo. I’ve had nothing but solitary runs for the last month and it was great to run together. We took a long route through Fairmount Park, Belmont Hills and West Philly. I was lost at 8 miles and just followed Seebo the rest of the way. The pace was very easy and it was a relaxing run. At the finish it was the best I’ve felt at the end of a long run so far this training cycle. 17.7 miles in 2:26.

Sunday I attempted a short run but there was a thin, barely visible, sheet of ice on many streets. After 5 minutes I decided to bag the run and turned it around to walk home. I probably could have run a few slow miles but I think I was just looking for an excuse.
10 weeks to go until the marathon.

No comments: