Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A surprise three inches of snow made for a slow but picturesque run yesterday evening. I was able to get out the door at 4:30 and ran most of the miles before it was completely dark. It was an easy run and the snow made everything even slower. 7.5 miles in 64 minutes.

I retreated to my running lair in the basement this morning to avoid the snow and the 16 degrees temps. My plan called for a track workout today but the snow made that impossible. I thought intervals at 6:00 minute pace on the treadmill would be a decent substitution. During my warm-up the treadmill suddenly lurched to a stop at 10 minutes. I nearly ran into the control panel. I spent a minute trying to get it started again and found a small switch that had been tripped. I assume it was a fuse. I reset it and got back to work but minutes later it happened again.

I thought about bundling up and heading outside to complete the run but I just couldn’t wrap my head around that. I wanted to put in 10 miles and I wasn’t going to have enough time to get that done. I decided to put off the run until this evening. Conditions won’t be much better but I won’t have to rush a run on snow covered streets. Do I count the 14 minutes I ran this morning? I don’t think it counts.

No comments: