Thursday, January 29, 2009

My foot turned out just fine after a couple days break. When I am in a rhythm of running nearly everyday I hate taking even a couple days off but we had a little snow over the past two days so one of them definitely would have been a DNR anyhow. I was on track to beat my best single month total mileage of 286 set in September of 2006 but missing the last two days makes that impossible. I'll at least come close. The fact that I was going to challenge that record means training is good.

Chestnut Hill is like an ice skating rink. The temp barely broke freezing today leaving a patina of water on top of the ice. I was frustrated within one block and the thought of doing this for 12 miles seemed unlikely. I wasn't about to take another day off so I decided to find some clearer main roads and hopefully hit some asphalt. I eventually locked into a 2.2 mile circuit with three little out and backs on dry roads. At first I thought it was going to be hell but once I resigned myself to the fact that this was going to be run for the evening it wasn't so bad.

I didn't split the first loop but the second came in at 15:43, 3rd in 15:21 and 4th in 14:10. A progression run that never really got down to tempo range. I felt a little out of sync the entire run and was glad at least to throw some speed in there. I'll call it 12 miles in 1:32.

I can't wait for this ice to get out of here. "Weather Alert" for next week. It looks like we're in for a huge nor'easter Monday evening through Tuesday, a real Yankee screamer. Right now the forecast is snow further inland and we'll just got pounded with some cold rain. I hope that's true. There may be snow from Georgia up through Canada from this one.

No comments: