Thursday, February 26, 2009

I headed for the track this morning not really sure of how the workout was going to go due to the race this past Saturday. My legs as usual were initially tight but after warming up for three miles I felt decent.

Chestnut Hill Academy track is supposed to open at dawn but there was still a lock on the gate so I hopped the fence hoping that whoever came to unlock the gate wouldn’t take offense. I was aiming for another pyramid workout 400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400 with 400 recoveries in between all intervals. My goal was to get my average 400 pace around 1:25. So…

400 - 1:24 (the gate opener offered a smile and a wave)
800 - 2:50
1200 – 4:16. During this interval I had an urgent need to “take care of business”. What a horrible way to break up a work out, I was aggravated and stormed off to the facilities that are luckily very close.

This however really threw off my entire workout, I realized I was running short of time (a real inconvenience during morning workouts) and hurried back to run a another half hearted 800 in 2:48. And that was it.

I took it easy on the two miles back to my house. A total of 7.8 miles in 58 minutes for the run. Definitely a flubbed workout, but looking at these splits it wasn’t all bad. I felt good (much better than two weeks ago) and I think a total of 3200 meters counts as an interval workout. Another positive note is that I think I was recovering more quickly, it was hard to tell having a busted workout but after the 800s I felt quickly ready to go again.

No comments: