Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Park Run

I took advantage of my Monday off and went for a run through the Wissahickon Park. The park is part of Philadelphia's gigantic Fairmount Park system. It runs for 6-7 miles along the banks of the Wissahickon Creek. It has a very wide, well maintained, level path that runs along one side of the creek. There are also miles of smaller trails ranging from flat single track to winding, rocky, hilly hiking trails. So you can choose between an easy run along the creek or a challenging trail run. I ran mix of both.

I started in on the trail and ran a little over a mile to the main path. I then took this for 4 miles, crossed the covered bridge and ran on the lower trail (less hills) for 2 miles. I switched back again to the main path and took this all the way back to the 100 steps for 11 miles in 86 minutes. I felt good up until about mile 8 butI really felt drained during the end of the run. Most runs I finish strong and my last mile feels as good if not better than the first. Not today, I was just waiting for it to end so I could warm up and relax. I think the race Saturday and skiing all day Sunday took it's toll. I do feel much better this morning and I think I just needed a good nights sleep.

1 comment:

ian said...

Congratulations at the Frostbite 5. I knew you'd break 32 no problem. And a fastest last mile is always a good sign...