Saturday, November 25, 2006

Nashville

I got a a little time away from the family to write a post here in Nashville TN. It's my first holiday with Heather's family and I am happy to say that I feel right at home. Every member of her family is very active and they encourage you to get out the door so it wasn't to hard to get in a couple runs.

On Thanksgiving Heather and I got out for around 6 miles in the rolling hills of her sister's neighborhood. I really haven't spent much time in the south and my skewed mental image of trailer parks and cars on blocks was totally misguided. The entire area is covered in new developments very similar to those you would find in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Only in Nashville, the scenery is prettier and the houses are spaced further apart. An very easy run. 6 miles in 55 minutes.

Friday I did some easy hiking but not an ounce of running. Sitting on the couch Friday night I was regretting my DNR and feeling like a loaf. I was able to make up for that today.

Her sister sent us to a huge park in a very ritzy neighborhood of Nashville. The $1,000,000 homes came one after another on the way to the park. I think it would have taken me weeks to figure this entire park out. Lots of dirt paths that were either going up or coming down, not much flat stuff in between. I started with a 2.5 mile loop on these trails and I was panting at the crest of every hill.

I then jumped on a street that winds for about 10 miles through the park. I quickly ended up where I started a couple times before I figured things out and than it was an uphill that lasted 9 minutes. Whew. It was much more fun on the way down than the way up. I am guessing about 7 miles in 60 minutes.

No comments: