Monday, November 13, 2006

Ups and Downs

Went out for a hill workout for the first time in a long time on Friday evening. I planned a route through Manayunk that looped a couple times up "The Wall" and included a few other long hills. A run similar to this was part of my routine last fall but I really haven't been hitting the hills much.

Things started off well on the first couple smaller hills. I took them comfortably hard and then slow once I crested. I then started up the wall which begins steep, levels off a little, and then really starts going straight up before easing at the finish. To track any progress I decided to time my splits on this hill. I don't want to turn into a race up the hill but I know how much effort I put in to achieve a certain time.

The first time up in 3:06.

the second 3:02.

A few more hills and I was home. 5.5 miles in 42 minutes.

My right calf was tight when I finished and didn't really feel great that night or the next morning. I debated on skipping the Saturday morning run but decided to go and told myself I would cut it short if thinsg didn't feel good.

Once I was got going my calf was fine. Not perfect, but it wasn't causing me any pain. My legs did feel dead however, just a little fried from the workout Friday night.


We went out with a crew of about 10 on a route that incorporated a few of the Philly Marathon hills on 34th and then up Lansdowne. Many in the group are running the marathon this wekend and it was one last run to prepare. Things picked up pace with Ian and Travis for the last few miles on MLK and I was happy when it was over. 6:50 pace really wasn't to comfortable. 8 miles in 59 minutes.

My calf was not happy when I finished. After driving home it had really tightned up. I had a long Saturday night (Which was a great time. Heather actually said it was the most fun she has had going out in a long time and I had to agree) and I decided to skip my run on Sunday and I will probably not run tonight either. No sense in pushing things without a race on the horizon.

That hill workout was a little to ambitious and looking back maybe I should have skipped the second trip up that big hill or taken it slower. However at the time I did feel fine so how could I know.

33 miles for the week.

No comments: