Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tuesday night last night and that means another 5 miles with the group. This time Alex, Stevus and I fell into a little pack and took the lead out to the turn around. I wasn't feeling so hot.

The pace was around 7:30 but it felt like I was working harder than that. Things just weren't in sync. I could not get my brain, lungs, heart, and legs to agree on anything so I just pushed along and tried to keep my mind off how my lower legs were tight and achy. Had I been running by myself I most likely would have stop for a minute and stretched things out, started back up at a little slower pace and tried to get in a groove.

Feelings like this tend to work themselves out after a few miles. On the return trip Stevus and I picked up the pace without really trying to and I started feeling a bit better. Mile 4 came in at 7:00 flat and was thinking to myself, "How the hell did I ever run 26 miles at this pace?"

We pushed things up the hill to the Art Museum for a 6:40 mile and it was over. I feel a little like a whiny bitch but I just haven't had a decent run in a while.

Also, I jumped on the scale before the run and it read 162 lbs. Damn. Pre-Marathon I was 153. I was hoping to put on a few lbs before Boston training began but this was a little to much in 1 month. I haven't been watching my diet as well as I was in training. I guess it's time to start again.

Today I was off from work and decided on a long trail run through the Wissahickon. These runs just about always put me in a good mood about my running. Put on the iPod and jumped on the trails.

It was a perfect late November afternoon. Cool, overcast with a crisp feeling in the air. I was sure I would see flurries at some point on the run. The rainbow of leaves that had been on the trees were now in brown piles on the trail crunching under my feet, and disguising the rocks underneath that were just dying to play havoc with my ankles.

Kept the pace moderate which is easy with the constant up and down on the way to Valley Green. My mind pondered an impromptu race on this route that would start and end at my house some Saturday morning over the winter. The feeling of disconnection from the night before was gone and I cruised along keeping my eyes open for obstacles.

Crossed the creek and made my way back home on the other side. This path has a lot less hills but way more rocks, boulders, and roots to navigate. I haven't been doing to much trail running as of late and my legs were reminding me. It was a good feeling though and I was enjoying the run. I was flying along on the path for the last mile. About 9.5 miles in 70 minutes.


I'm off to Nashville for Thanksgiving. The weather is supposed to beautiful and I hope to find a few good routes to run. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: