Thursday, January 24, 2008

I hate startling people as I run by. It's always in the evening on a particularly desolate stretch of road (yes there are some desolate stretches in a crowded city). Somebody walking, lost in their thoughts or maybe lost in their headphones and at then all of a sudden there I am, directly behind them and running. A jump, perhaps a quickly stifled yelp, and I'm by but now the walkers heart rate matches mine.

I've become adept at warning of my approach before actually yelling "On your right!" I drag my feet a little more, cut over into a pile of leaves and rustle as much as possible, maybe a cough or two. It seems that even if I can subconsciously alert someone that I am passing by the startle just isn't as bad. It worked last night as I crossed a bridge over the Cresheim Creek into Chestnut Hill. I was treated with a smile as I went by instead of yell.

It was another easy run on a rolling route through the city. It was cold but not to cold and I felt great. I added a few twists and turns onto a 9.2 mile route I ran last week to push the total over 10 miles. I stopped my watch at a bathroom break 33 minutes into the run and unfortunately I forgot to restart it. But I know I left the house at 5:00 and I got back at 6:19 so I'll call it 10.3 miles 80 minutes.

No comments: