Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kenyan Speed

I left work with the goal of runing 10+ miles yesterday evening but when I got home, I started to waffle on the idea. It was windy, it was going to be cold... why not go to the nice warm gym for a long swim. I started to pack up gym bag and put on my bathing suit. The whole time thinking about mileage for the week and when was I going to have time to make up this run, especially because I am moving this weekend. I unpacked my bag, took off my bathing suit and laced up my sneakers. If I have the chance I'd rather get the miles out of the way early in the week when I have the chance. You never know what can happen later in the week to make you miss a run.

I was glad I ran. For one, it wasn't as near as windy and cold as I had imagined and two, it was a great workout. I'd read couple articles about progression runs that Kenyan runners are fond of. They start very slowly in the 9+ pace range and slowly but surely speed things up over the course of 10-15 miles until they are better than 5K pace by the end. The article went on to explain how they don't measure their pace but rather they try to find that sweet spot where speed and aerobic respiration are at their peak. A tempo run without looking at your watch.

I am no Kenyan but the idea for the workout sounded good. My plan for the for the run was an abbreviated version of the above. Start kind of slow but build up to a fast pace more quickly and just adjust based on how I felt, not by what my watch was telling me. I headed for the Art Museum and after 1.5 miles of fairly easy running I began to speed things up. I have to admit I did split the miles just to gauge my speed, not for adjustments, I also didn't glance at the 1/4 and 1/2 mile splits, something I normally can't resist on tempo run.

Mile 1 - 6:49 A slight stomach cramp, so I slowed down and it passed, so I picked it back up.

Mile 2 - 6:23 This was generally into a headwind and I was surprised at how quickly it went.

Mile 3 - 6:13 I now had a tail wind but it still didn't feel like a tempo run, just running hard and totally comfortable

Mile 4 - 5:52 The last mile uphill to the Art Museum. I think that is my fastest non-race mile to date and I didn't really feel like I killed myself to get it. Just kept the pressure on as I was going up the hill and that was the time.

Needless to say I was very happy with the workout. It's funny how three little number, 5:52, can really brighten your mood and give you a better understanding of your fitness. I ran the return trip at much easier pace, my legs were tired but I felt good. 10.8 miles in 78 minutes.

No comments: