Friday, April 07, 2006

A Quick 10

I took advantage of a half day at work today and went for a little stroll down Kelly Drive. I was planning to do 4, 1/2 mile repeats. After 1.5 miles I hit my first reapeat. I was aiming for a 2:55 and nailed it, I felt OK but not great. Ran a recovery 2:10 1/4 mile and then another interval in 2:55. The wind was in my face and my stomach was just not cooperating, I didn't feel good. Another 2:10 1/4 mile and tried for a 3rd interval but it didn't happen. I didn't feel fluid, my stomach felt queasy, the wind was in my face and I called off the intervals. I'll save them for another day when I can give a little more.

Instead I just decided to run what felt good out to the Art Museum and back. What "felt good" was faster than I expected and I ran the 5 miles to the Art Museum in 36 minutes, 7:12's. I ran four repeats up the steps progressively faster until I was totally out of breath by the final one, took a 2 minute breather and then started back home.

I again just ran what felt good and I again was happy to see a sub 7:00 for the first mile, the remaining miles hovered above and below 7:00 pace. The total time was 1:18 for 10 miles including my trips up and down the steps. Minus the steps I ran 10 in 1:11, my Broad Street time in 2004. The extra miles this winter and spring are really paying off. Maybe I can better that Broad Street time by 10 minutes this year.

No comments: