Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Speedy Tuesdays

I've mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to return to those quick Tuesday nights runs that the group was running last spring. These speedy runs were usually led by LL or Stevus. A moderate pace to start, with the pace increasing as the run progressed. With 1-2 miles to go the pace usually accelerated to a point that I could not sustain and then it became a battle to try and stay as close to the leaders as possible until you collapsed in front of the Art Museum. Without realizing it at the time these runs functioned as tempo runs for me through most of the spring. It is much easier to do this type of run with others to urge and challenge you to keep up the pace.

So last night I decided try and get it going again. I didn't see any of the usual "speed" suspects pre-race so I knew I was on my own to push the pace. E-Mike and I started off with a 7:25 mile and I was feeling great so I started to pick it up. I was cruising through mile 2 when Jim came up behind me to join the pace. Mile 2 was 6:32 and he ran with me to the 2.2 mmile mark. I headed out to the 5 mile turn around and mile 3 came in @ 6:24. I fell off the pace a bit at mile 4 with a 6:34. I relaxed at the beginning of the final mile and then hammered it up the hill at the end to finish mile 5 in 6:17.

I was sweaty, out of breath and happy as hell when we finished. A couple of trips up and around the Art Museum steps and I was feeling great. I hope this continues.

1 comment:

ian said...

Damn! Sorry I missed this one. It's been hard to make it lately, but after reading this I'll try harder next week. Nice work.