Sunday, March 11, 2007

Caesar Rodney

I have been mulling over this race all day. It's stuck in my head like a bad song, replaying and replaying.

I walked out the door this morning at 7:00 to wet streets and a perfectly clear sky, the sun was just starting to come up, due to the time change, an hour later than yesterday. It felt like good racing weather and I was excited to get the show on the road.

I met up with the Philly Runner crew that was very well represented in Caesar Rodney square before the race. Seebo had graciously offered to pace me for the first half of this race and a few other guys, Chem Steve, Craig, and Stevus decided to join us. The idea was to go out comfortably and ease into a 6:25 pace before hitting the hills between mile 5-7. Then, keep pushing and hold on for the trip back down the hills 10-12, to the finish.

As I had expected Seebo set things up perfectly. After an easy 6:38 for the first mile we hit 6:19 for mile 2, a short mile 3 in 6:05 and long mile 4 in 6:33. I was working, but I felt comfortable and relaxed. Things were going just as I had hoped. The four of us kept a steady pace and reeled in all the people that had gone out to fast.

Mile 5 went by in 6:15 and I was putting in a little more effort than I would have liked but a 5 mile split of 31:4? was just were I wanted to be. Seebo was not only controlling the pace but giving us a few words of wisdom that I digested as I hung on up the hills and tried to stay as close as possible to break any wind. Mile 6 up the hills in 6:24. I was surprised at how quickly that split was, I felt like we had actually slowed down more than that. I took that as good sign. We hit the halfway mark in 41:30, perfectly for my goal of 1:23. The man's pacing was dead on. Thanks Seebo.

Mile 7 in 6:40 but unlike mile 6 I was really feeling that 6:40 even though it was slower than the mile before. Thankfully the hills were over but I think my legs held onto their memory for the rest of the race. At this point Seebo gave us some words of encouragement and advice and bid us adieu. He was wisely laying off the pace as his coached had prescribed in prep for his goal race next weekend.

So now it was time to hang on and keep the pace up as we completed a 1.5 mile out and back before heading back down the hills. Mile 8 in 6:20, if I could just keep this pace up things would be in the bag for a 1:23. However, I was starting to struggle my legs and my breathing were not where I would want them at this point in the race.

Mile 9 in 6:34 and I was pushing, I was really expected to feel a little better at this point. I was praying for the downhills and just trying to hold on. Mile 10 went by in 6:29. Faster, but I was really giving it all I had to hit that time. I didn't have much in the bank for the last few miles, even though they were mostly downhill.

Downhill mile 11 in 6:33. Not much I can say about that one. I envisioned 6:05's coming down these hills but I just couldn't get the legs to turn over, I was struggling. Mile 12 in 6:21, faster but still not where I wanted to be.

Things flattened out here and I held on as we made the turn for that final steep hill to the finish. Pushed with what I had left and finished in 1:24:34.

A little analysis ...

Missed my goal time by about a minute. It was nearly a 2 minute PR for the distance, which I set at the same race last year, and I was happy to have done that but still let down at the same time. I really thought I had 1:23 in the bag and might have a shot at 1:22 and that is why this race has been replaying all day.

I had based my goal time on some the training runs I have had lately and the amount of fitness I felt I had gained from the same time last year. Perhaps I was a little to optimistic.

I did have a heavy taper this week but my long run last Sunday was the quickest I have ever covered 20 miles in training, on a hilly course with a fast finish. I could feel that long run in my legs into Wednesday. That run also came on the end of the two highest mileage weeks I have had in running, back to back. So maybe that zapped some of the zip in my legs and caused me to lose a little in the last few miles. It wasn't a total collapse, more like a slow erosion.

All in all I am happy with the day. It predicts a sub 3:00 in the marathon and I have three solid weeks of training left before the heaviest of marathon taper begins. I'll use them as wisely as I can and get ready for Boston. I am excited to race Boston but I will be happy when it is done.

Congratulations to all the Philly Runners who ran. I am guessing about 25-30 people from the group raced, which is really a great turn out for a mid-march 1/2 marathon. We took #1 and #2 in the male team competition, out of only three teams, but who is counting. A new member to our group also won the entire race with a 1:09. Way to go Chris.

1 comment:

ian said...

Nice work out there man. The improvement you've made over the last 18 months continues to impress.

You don't want to be tip-top yet...that comes on Patriot's Day.