Thursday, March 29, 2007

My Legs Have Given Up

Yesterday was more of the same for running. I planed on a 10 mile run with 6-8 of the miles at marathon pace. I should have scaled back the distance based on yesterdays run but I didn't.

My left hamstring was acting up when I started but it quieted down after about a mile. I decided to try for marathon pace and see what happened. 1st mile in 6:36, second mile in 6:36. Even with the marked 1/4 miles on Kelly Drive I was having a hard time holding pace.

I stopped to stretch things out and decided to slow it down a little for the remainder of my trip out to the Art Museum. Got to the museum, stretched a little more and took in the beautiful day and headed back. Things got progressively slower as my legs continued to feel worse. Towards the end I was at 8:00 pace and just dying for it to be over. I even walked a 1/4 mile. 10 miles in 1:15.

I really don't know exactly what is up. I am guessing that 21 miles on Saturday took a lot more out of me than I first thought. Based on the run I did the day after (Sunday) I felt good. Since then, not so good. My legs doesn't feel any better then it did on Monday.

So, no run tonight, easy run tomorrow and hopefully I still will be able to race a planned 5K on Saturday morning. That will be a call I make Saturday morning. If things still don't feel so good I'll run it slower and turn it into a tempo run. If I feel better it will definitely be an all out effort.

3 comments:

seebo said...

One word: T-A-P-E-R

The hay is in the barn. In case that concept is too abstract, it means that you're not going to gain any fitness now, but you sure stand to lose alot if you keep doing workouts like that.

Seriously, run conservative. You're scaring me.

You running Haddonfield on Sat?

John W said...

I'm running the City 6, 5K on Kelly Drive. Several people from work are coming out at my urging. I'll keep it slow.

ian said...

I hope you're feeling better. I'm sure a few easy days will put the spring back in your legs...