Friday, March 16, 2007

Racing the Rain

I checked the accuweather radar when I got home from work and saw a big blob of dark green heading my way. With temps in the mid-40's the rain was going to be cold so I got out the door as fast as possible so I could warm up before the rain hit.

Daylight saving time allows me to run in the Wissahickon Park after work again and I made my way out to the Valley Green restaurant for an 8 mile loop. The rain held off until a couple miles into the route but even then it was very light stuff and I was warmed up. The miles were coming quicker than I expected, hovering around 7:00 pace, but I felt good so I went with it. I battled a stiff breeze most of the way out and was looking forward to the turn around when it would be at my back.

Decided to pass the restaurant by a half mile to make it nine miles for the evening and then started heading back. With the wind behind me the pace increased and I hit a couple miles below 6:30. I really felt good and the pace was coming fairly easy. By this point the rain had picked up, it was nearly a downpour. I was glad I only had a couple miles to go. Things would quickly become miserable if I had to be out in this to long.

Finished up a conservative 9 miles in 63 minutes on the nose. A great run on a not so great evening.

It's funny how quickly the weather can turn in March. Yesterday afternoon it was 68 degrees, this morning on the ride in to work, sleet was piling up and the temp was 32. A good thing about a March winter storm, you know things can get better just as quickly as they got bad and the snow melts away before it takes on the nasty icy/slush you get midwinter.

No comments: