Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spring is in the Air

The weather was beautiful yesterday, upper 50's, light wind and plenty of sunshine. Luckily my legs were feeling a little better than I imagined they would be and I joined Heather for a run in the sun when I got home from work.

It was a trip down Kelly Drive and back at a very leisurely pace. My quads were sore from the race but this route is very flat so it didn't cause any problems. A conservative 9 miles in 1:17. A change in weather definitely brightens the mood and it has me looking forward to my workouts this week. Highs will be back to the upper 30's by the weekend but I'll block that out for now and enjoy the next few days. The cold days are numbered at this point in year anyhow.

The warm weather did bring out the hordes on Kelly Drive. Runners, bikers, rollerbladers and walkers all over the place. I laugh at the bikers that are trying to put in a hard workout on days like today, 25 mph down a path that is 6 feet wide and covered with people going much slower than they are. Several times I saw looks of frustration on their faces when they were forced to slow down because of the crowd.

What do they expect on a day like yesterday? Cross the river to the less crowded side or better yet, go up into the magnificent park that surrounds both sides of the river and enjoy the wide shoulders and rolling hills. I can't think of a better place than that to put in a good workout.

No comments: