Saturday, March 31, 2007

City 6, 5K

It's amazing how three little miles can change your outlook on entire week.

I didn't run Thursday and Friday my legs were feeling better. In the evening I went for an easy run with Heather. My legs felt pretty good except for a twinge in my left thigh, and I wanted to go faster but Heather was there to keep that urge in check.

Saturday morning was the City 6 5K. A race held by 6 major local Universities along the Kelly Drive River path,a route that is all to familiar. I went into this race with no expectations knowing that I might not be running at my best and not wanting to push anything for a race that wasn't even on my radar 3 weeks ago.

I did a couple miles with a guy from work beforehand and thinsg felt good. The sky was gray and the air was cooler than I had expected, about 50 degrees, but the wind was calm and it was a good day for a race.

About 300 people toed the line and I got up close to the front about three people back. There didn't look to be a ton of quick people but I saw a couple guys warming up that made me think I didn't have a shot at winning this.

The race started and I went out at what felt like a conservative pace. As usual a large group was ahead of me, 3/4 of which faded before we reached 1/2 mile mark. I passed several people within the first mile and I could see the leaders pulling away up ahead. I had a few guys within striking distance as I went through the first mile in 5:40. Faster than I expected but that is the way things are in a 5K. Passed one guy in this mile and got right behind another right before the turn around.

I had slowly been catching him and I bided my time for about a 1/4 mile behind him before trying to pass. He met my surge and we were literally neck and neck for about a 1/4 mile. This had a lot of runner going the other way cheering us on and also kept the pace quick in what normally is a slower portion of the race for me.

He pulled a little ahead of me but I thought I had him if I just held tight for a few and tried to pass again. On the second attempt I was able to get ahead and then concentrated on putting some distance between us and keeping the pace up. There was a third guy ahead and I thought I had a shot at him but upon hearing me he kicked it up a gear and I knew I didn't have shot unless he slowed down.

3/4 of a mile to go and now the watch checking began. Could I break my PR of 18:20? Could I got sub 18? Trying to do the mental calculations when you are running all out can be difficult and although I wasn't sure until 1/4 of mile to go I thought I had a shot at sub 18:00.

As I raced along Boathouse Row and I started to realize 18 was in the bag and I think a huge smile popped up on my face. Crossed the line in 17:45 for a 35 second PR and much quicker that I really thought I would race.

A great cap to a shitty week. A huge PR that is on par with the performance I put in at Broad Street last year. I was ecstatic. Things seemed back on track and my lets felt good the remainder of the day. Sweet.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

This was my first race in Philly, a couple of years ago (I ran 22:31).

I was just thinking on my run this morning that there's no reason a well-conditioned runner should have a big PR that comes as a surprise. Big PRs happen of course, but usually either early in your racing career or as a result of training that's focused on that particular race. So much for that theory!

Congratulations, and I hope you surprise yourself in Boston as well.