Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I hopped in my car to drive down to the group run last night and at the top of my block I saw a couple runners hitting the trails in the Wissahickon. The idea of trail running on such a beautiful sunny evening enticed me to bag the group run, park my car, and head into the park.

In my mind I had visions of myself quickly cruising over familiar trails, up and down the valley of the Wissahickon Creek. However, in the back of my head I could hear a mocking laugh coming from my legs. "Your running where? how fast? hills? Yeah right". I told my legs to shut up, and got to running.

My legs have been achey the past few days, specifically my upper left leg. My left hip and hamstring have been really tight and sore especially after sitting still for any more than 20 minutes. I think this has a lot to do with the miles last week and a little to do with the massive yard cleaning operation I did on Sunday. I was climbiing, lifting and cutting for a good 3 hours. After nothing but running for a few months I am just not used to that. I took Monday off and I had an easy 8 miles planned for last night that I was trying to turn into a trail run.

Things were far from smooth right from the start, felt more like I was taking my legs out for a run than they were taking me out for a run. Pulling them a long with each step. Sometimes things will loosen up and feel better once you get moving but not last night. After 1.5 miles of trails I decided to head down to Forbidden Drive, a very smooth, flat, wide path that follows the creek. After 3 miles I turned around. Towards the end of the run things were feeling a little better but I was happy to be done after 6 miles.

Upper leg still tight and sore today, even to the touch. I can tell it is nothing major just a little whining from my legs. I'll just take it easy. Had this been three weeks ago I would be nervous about it but I am tapering so I'm not going to sweat it.

Other tapers (tapirs)























1 comment:

ian said...

Looks like someone is smoking the taper crack.