Friday, September 08, 2006

Fall Trail Series

Back to Valley Green for the Wissahickon Wanderers trail races last night, every Thursday night at 6:30 this fall. Heather and I got there a little erly and I warmed up for a couple miles before signing up.

About 30 people toed the line for a 3.5-4 miles course that had just been chalked out by a guy who was now racing the course. I stuck to my plan of going very conservatively early and then picking up the pace as the race progressed.

Heading up the first hill I was in 6th place and taking it easy. I passed a guy on the hill and then got stuck behind another racer and biker on for next series of hills but the pace felt comfortably fast and I didn't mind. Eventually passed this runner and starting speedng up, dropped back onto Forbidden Drive and passed one more guy.

Crossed over the creek on the covered bridge, the only covered bridge in a large city in the U.S., and headed back down the creek on the other side. At this point I was really enjoying the run. Running hard enough to feel like I was really pushing, but not an all out effort. Kind of like a tempo run but it is hard to judge this pace on rocky trails that are constantly going up and down.

I passed two more guys along this length to get into second place. At this point I figured if I saw the first place guy I would go for it but for now I was just gonna keep it easier. I never did see the first place guy who finished about 30 secs ahead of me. I finished in a little over 25 minutes.

A fun race that was followed by a mile of cooldown and then a cooldown with a couple beers and some grub put out by the Valley Green Restaurant.

I don't know if I will make every race in September but I'd like to get out for at least one more. Some of the readers of this blog should join me. Seebo I know you are dying to hit some of those rocky rooty trails.

1 comment:

seebo said...

A friend of a friend referred to the Belmont paths as the "Death Trails." I think that name will stick.

Now to get an appropriate moniker for those things around Forbidden Drive.

Better you run them than me. Congrats on a good race. . . and avoiding an ankle twist or worse.