Friday, September 15, 2006

Thursday in the Rain

I made it down to the Art Museum a little early to put in a bout 5 miles beforehand. The normal Thursday night PR crew was reduced to English Mike and I due, I think to a variety of factors. The rain, marathon tapering and worst of all, injuries.

We set off on a loop into West Fairmount Park over the Strawberry Mansion Bridge and then back over Girard to Lloyd Hall. The pace was easy and the conversation flowed as we made our way along in the dreary weather.

What had been a misting became a steady rain halfway through the run but at this point I don't think either of us really noticed. The pace steadily increased through the run as is often the case with E-Mike. He needs a few miles to get warmed up and into a run and then starts to pick it up. We were really cruising going down the hill at Lansdowne and back up to Girard.

I hate this intersetion at Girard and 34th. A ton of traffic and a lot of turning cars makes for a very unfriendly pedestrain crossing and it was amplified last night. Mike and I had the light and were making our way across the street. A car to our left was making a right off of Girard onto 34th and nearly took our legs out from under us as she inched forward waiting for a break in traffic so she could make her turn. Luckily she didn't get the break in traffic. My hand smacking the hood and Mike yelling at the car got her attention and she apologized out the window. I was inches away from her bumper and I don't even want to think about what would have happened if she hit the gas.

We finished at Lloyd Hall. 13 miles in about 1hour 45min. Now a couple of short easy days before the Philly Half-Marathon on Sunday.

No comments: