Thursday, September 21, 2006

Have you ever gotten that feeling when you are running that somehow your legs are disconnected from your lungs? Like they have found an alternate oxygen supply and they no longer need your lungs to do all the work. Once in a while it will strike, usually after a several miles, on a slight downhill, when the wind is at your back and the temps are cooler than they have been in awhile, like last night.

I started off easy from house up over the Bloody Nipple and through Fairmount Park winding my way around at a slowly increasing pace. The weather was perfect, cool, calm and the sun was low in the sky. A beautiful view of city skyline as cruised down Belmont Mansion Drive over St Georges and down South Concourse. I picked up the pace as I went behind the zoo and by the time I got in front of the Art Museum that feeling had arrived.

I was flying down Kelly Drive. At the beginning of the run I had planned for some fast miles on Kelly Drive, if my legs felt up to it. So I was shooting for sub 6:30 for 3 miles after a quick stop at Lloyd Hall. The first was 6:25, I laid off the pace a bit and the second came in at 6:15. Wow, I was definitely running hard but I was comfortable and this pace was coming more easily then I can remember. The third mile was 6:08 making miles 10, 11, & 12 tempo miles for the run.

I finished the last mile at a much easier pace. I passed Veena, going the other way, after Falls Bridge. I was tempted to say hi but it was dark and I don't think she really knows who I am.

I was elated when I got home. A conservative 14 miles in 1hr 45 min. I had hit a high on the run and it came right in the front door with me, I was bouncing of the walls for an hour or so. Seebo has reffered to these runs as "bottle days", that it would be nice to save a day like this for a race so you could take it off the shelf and run your best.

I'd like to think that I have been slowly filling that bottle over the past couple months and it will topped off by the end of next week. Just sitting there with a big Oct 22nd label it.

3 comments:

jim said...

Nice....the ever-elusive runner's high. Last night seemed like the perfect night for it. The suspense for Chicago has to be killing you, but you seem ready.

ian said...

Dang! Sounds like a good one. You are so ready, John.

seebo said...

Fuck the running, your writing is really coming along during this training cycle and the style you've developed should now peak at just about the time you do your marathon writeup.

Seriously, a nice writeup that does well in capturing both the exuberence and the nuts and bolts of this workout.