Sunday, September 17, 2006

PDR

Sitting here watching the Eagles more relaxed then I have been over the last few days or even the last week. For some reason I was stressing myself over the run today. Happily my worries were unfounded.

My plan was 20 miles today with the race at marathon pace or a little faster. I got up early, followed my long run morning routine and took off running to the start at 6:45. I immediately felt like it was going to be a good day. The legs felt great and I kept the pace easy. 45 minutes and a little over 5 miles later I was at the start.

Lined up at the back of corral one, as planned, to meet with Steve G. who I was hopefully going to pace to a sub 1:30. First mile was just over 7 and the next several were a little faster at about 6:55. I was sweating like crazy but feeling great. It was nice not going all out and really taking in the run. The miles and pace came easy and before I knew we were on MLK.

At this point the miles started to slow down and I could tell that Steve was struggling. I tried to lead him by a couple steps and pick up the pace but I guess it just wasn't his day. After a 7:18 mile 7 split Steve told me to go and I picked up the pace. The next mile came in at just under 7 and things continually sped up from there.

I was cruising down Kelly, 6:50, 6:43, 6:38, 6:36 and the last 1.1 at 7:12. This is exactly how I had hoped the race would go. Finished in 1:30. A course PR for me. Afterwards Steve K and I cooled down with a couple miles that put me over 20 for the day and 62 for the week.

I looked at today as my last big hump in marathon training. I don't start tapering for two weeks but I have no fast long runs planned so they should be a little easier. The race gave me some confidence and fitness for the marathon, just like it was supposed to.

Congrats to all the Philly Runners in the race today. A special shout out to Seebo who ran a 1.5 minute PR with a 1:13:something. PR's don't come easy when you are running at that level let alone a minute and a half.


Ohh also. If you are bored and happen to look up my official time on the race website you won't see it. I forgot my chip :(. If had really been racing I would have been pissed but because I wasn't no big deal.

1 comment:

seebo said...

Good job on the well executed workout, and keeping your eyes on the prize.

Thanks for the kind words as well, it was indeed a most excellent day.