Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hitting my Stride

I started last nights run with a real spring in my step, my legs felt good at work all day and it carried into my run. Pearl Jam’s “Yield” album was playing on my iPod and my pace was quick heading down my block on my way to the Bloody Nipple and Fairmount Park.

I didn’t feel like I was flying but a nice brisk pace, as I headed up the bloody nipple I kept the pace up and cruised over to Ford Road. I was running a little hard but I felt good and knew the weather over the next couple of days was going to make any speedwork very difficult so why not just enjoy it.

Up Chaminoux to South Georges to North Georges where I made a left, crossed Belmont, and pushed my way up Belmont Mansion back to Chaminoux. I felt strong, and fast, just in a great groove not really pushing it but going quickly anyway. I decided to slow down a bit on Belmont Mansion but it only lasted about 100 meters and I was right back up to speed.

I made a right on Ford road, down and up the hill then a left on Greenland to add a loop that I needed to get the run over 10 miles. When I got back to Ford Road, I glanced at my watch and saw that if I could get home in less than 22 minutes I would break 1:10 for 10 miles. I didn’t really know exactly how far I was from home but 22 minutes seemed possible if I kept up the pace.

Followed my route back to the Bloody Nipple, I was flying at this point pushing down hill, glancing at my watch for time checks. If I can just get across Falls Bridge with 10 minutes left, I should break 1:10. I got across Falls Bridge with 12 minutes and I started was thinking, how far can I go under 1:10.

For the first time during the run, I really felt like I was pushing myself, I was at what felt like tempo pace but I’m not sure. Back to Ridge Ave, up the steps to the train station, under the station, up more steps, and then the final hill up to my house. I was all out going up the hill, my legs were tired but I was getting excited about the time I could post.

67 minutes flat. I ran upstairs to G-map the route. 10.3 miles. 10.3 miles in 67 minutes, 6:30 pace - on a training run that I wasn’t really pushing till the end – the day after a 14 miler – on a hilly route. I could not believe it. In fact, I measured the route again to be sure. The effort I put into this run just didn’t seem to justify the time.

To put this time in perspective, it is faster than I ran Broad Street 2 years ago, when I of course was going all out. It predicts a 3:02-3:03 marathon and it was a training run on a hilly course the day after a 14 miler. Yes, I know I already mentioned that but I can’t help it. I think the tempo runs over the past several weeks along with consistent mileage and couple of days off over the weekend just came together for a great run. I hope I can keep this going.

1 comment:

ian said...

Nice work, Dubs! Time to maybe rethink that Caesar Rodney goal...