Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Weekend

The week didn't end exactly as planned but luckily it wasn't do to running related pains.

Friday was easy. A little over 8 miles with Heather on Kelly drive. Fairly uneventful, just another windy and cold run on the drives. I think it was about 68 minutes.

Saturday I headed down to the group run with a plan to go up Kelly Drive and then go off on my own, or with whoever would follow, over the Bloody Nipple and back for 10. However I woke up with some stomach distress and I was a little leery about how the run was going to turn out.

I felt okay on the way out but I knew all was not right so I kept the pace fairly easy and stuck to the drives on the return trip to the Art Museum. As soon as I stopped the pain in my stomach kicked up a notch and I was glad I hadn't gone for 10 or more.

Got home and continued to feel worse. Within an hour I was in bed, stomach aching, just hoping it would pass. I abhor puking so I resist with every fiber in my being which usually means a couple hours of agony until whatever it is passes. This was no exception and before I knew it most of the day was gone but I was starting to feel better. I don't know what exactly caused the pain but I can't help being suspicious of the Indian food I had the evening before.

So as not to anger the stomach gods I ate only light food the remainder of the day and my mind was already debating if my 20 miles on Sunday would be bagged. I woke up Sunday morning feeling fine and I mapped my route out for the 20. Common sense eventually won over and I decided hold of the 20 miler till tomorrow which because of Presidents Day I have off. Instead I ran an easy 6 on the drives and thanked myself many times for the wise decision to hold off the 20 miles. I just didn't feel like I had it in me.

54 miles for the week with a swim. I would have been close to the goal of 70 with the 20 miler today but I guess that will have to wait till next week.

No comments: