Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Ugly Mudder 2007


The Ugly Mudder is a trail race run near Reading, Pa, a town about 50 miles Northwest of Philly. It is one of a slew of races in the area run by Ron Horn. Ron is quite a character with a great sense of humor that, I think, takes pleasure in making runners struggle through hills, snow and just about anything that makes them suffer a little. Luckily, runners are a group that kind of enjoys suffering so his races are very popular. The Ugly Mudder's name is fitting and the 7 or so miles can get very nasty depending on the weather, which normally isn't to nice in late February in Reading.

We got together a group of 10 Philly Runners for the race and I think they, like myself, didn't really know what we were in for when we signed up. Things were bad, just about as bad as I could imagine for any kind of running race. Before starting the run Ron said that "Winter trail running can be very difficult depending on how bad the conditons are. Today we have reached the pinnacle."

I wasn't planning on really racing this because of several factors including the conditions. About 0.01 miles into the race I was happy about that plan. It was ridiculous. 99.9% of the course was covered by several inches of compact frozen snow that went from slippery, to very slippery, to lacking friction. We hit the first hill and I was instantly on down on my hands, as was everybody else. I was grabbing trees, rocks, roots anything I could that we give me a little traction to get up the hill. The racers had spread out across this hill, up and over a little berm in a big line. I felt like we were some kind of invading force, in Siberia perhaps.

The down hills were often a controlled fall, sliding from tree to tree. At some points the downhills were so slippery that I just squatted as low as I could go and placed my hands on the ground. Sliding down the mountain like I had roller skates on. I couldn't help but laugh at the futility of the situation. 100's of runners squatting, sliding and falling down an ice covered hill.

I was passed by many people on the downhills. Obviously they had better sneakers, cleats, or bigger balls than I had. I was fairly far back in the pack and I was very content to pass some people on the level portions, hold my ground on the uphills and loss it all on the downhills. 1st mile 10:30, second mile... 10:30. I stopped at the water station at mile 2.2, moved to the side to drink some water and promptly feel on my ass.

Mile 2-3 was flat for a good portion and I was surprised to see it come in under 10:00. The rest of the way was up and down and icy and slippery and I was happy to just to stay upright. You were constantly on edge, throwing your arms up like you were in high-wire act.

The last portion of the race consists of climbing Mount Mudd, which is a very steep, leaf and tree covered hill that stands between you and the finish. It requires you to get on your hands and knees even in the best of conditions. Luckily, it was void of snow and I think it was actually the easiest portion of the race, my feet had traction.

7.25 miles in 1hr 11 minutes. 20 minutes slower than the snow free 2006 version of the race. I was a little put off that I didn't push my self to compete, but I counted myself lucky that I only had one bruise on my knee. The other guys I came with pushed harder and had the bloody knees to show for it. I have alot of respect for them running all out on a course like today. Especially Stevus, the man had on Nike slip-ons, circa 1998 and he still finished 8th in his age group.

Here is a few more images of the Philly Runners who came up for the race and a few scaling Mt Mudd.


The Philly Runner Group after the race, evidenced by Jerry's bloody knee.













Ben working his way up Mt. Mudd














Elizabeth blazing her way up the hill.















Me, with a somewhat scared look on my face for some reason.













This race will definitely be lodged in memory for years to come.


Overall a great week of running topped of by the insane race. 7 weeks till Boston.

No comments: