Friday, February 23, 2007

The Thursday night group tends to really ebb and flow in numbers and last night was an ebb. E-Mike, Ian, and I were all that made it out on a windy but still warm evening compared to the weather over the last month. No one had mapped out a route prior to the so we made it up as we went along.

Started off slow down Kelly to Poplar and then it was up into the Park around the reservoirs I was feeling good at a relaxed pace and Ian and I started to pull away from E-mike a little bit. By the time we got to the Strawberry Mansion Bridge Mike was really slowing down and we swung back to see what was up. A bit of a hamstring pull he said. Mike, I hope things are feeling better today.

He shortcut the run a little and went down to West River to take it slow on the way back to the Art Museum, Ian and I continued on through the park. The pace picked up on the second half of the run but it was still comfortable, it has just moved from easy comfortable to fast comfortable.

I can tell that over the past month or so my easy pace has gotten faster. In the past it was around 7:30 but I think it has dropped into the 7:20 range and I can still run rather comfortably at 7:00 - 7:10. So my fitness has increased, but due to the fact that I haven't raced since the marathon in October I really don't know where I am at. I am racing the Ugly Mudder Trail run this weekend but the conditions of that race make it a horrible predictor. Last year I averaged around 8:20 pace and I was working my ass off.

After that is the Caesar Rodney half marathon on March 11th. I am heading into a little unsure on how to pace it. I have a general idea of where I am at so I think I may start off fairly easy over the first few miles and see what happens. I have my best races when I reserve a little at the start. After this race I should have a better idea of where I am at and the pace I want to shoot for in Boston.

Anyhow, the remainder of last nights run went by quickly and before I knew I was leaving Ian at Lloyd Hall and heading back to my car at the top of the Art Museum steps. I did a quick trip down and up the steps and I was done. 8.3 miles in 61 minutes.

No comments: